The Galesville Public Library has a part time position opening for an enthusiastic and motivated Library Assistant. This person will be an important member of our library team, offering excellent library service to our community.
Job Title: Library Assistant – Part time
Reports to: Library Director
Summary: Under the supervision of the Library Director and as a member of the Library Team, the Library Assistant is a library staff member whose primary duty is providing direct patron service. The Library Assistant will also assist the Library Director with collection maintenance and outreach activities of the Galesville Public Library.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs all aspects of patron service related to circulation. Includes checking in and out of library materials; assisting patrons with hold requests; sorting bins of items delivered by our WRLS consortium, shelving, emptying book drops etc.
- Processes library items (applying labels, protective coverings, etc.)
- Shelves library materials, ensuring that items are in the correct place
- Assists with physical maintenance of library collections, including displays, inventory, shifting, shelf reading and cleaning of shelves/items
- Provides technology assistance to patrons with computers, library resources, and individual patron devices (smartphone, ereader, etc.)
- Understanding of all library resources. Ability to provide patron assistance with library associated websites and programs, apps, etc.
- Assists with library programs; including book club or other library outreach events
- Responsible for opening and closing duties
- Other duties as assigned
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent required; library knowledge or experience is an asset
- Enthusiastic and excellent customer service skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Attention to detail, organizational, and time management skills
- Knowledge of technology, with ability to independently troubleshoot basic technology issues
- Proficiency or ability to learn and use basic Microsoft Office (Word/Excel) for communications and to prepare reports
- Flexibility to work some evenings and possible Saturday mornings
Physical Demands of the Position:
The physical demands listed are typical of activity an employee needs to be able to perform to successfully complete the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities perform the essential functions.
- Lifting of more than 10 pounds frequently and carrying to a maximum of 50 pounds
- Pushing and pulling, typically book carts weighing 60-80 pounds
- Sitting, standing, walking, stooping, kneeling and crouching. Use of step stool will sometimes be needed
- Fingering: keyboarding, writing, filing, sorting, shelving, and processing.
- Handling: processing, picking up, and shelving books
- Ability to read size 12 font or smaller and faded type on item labels
- Ability to observe patrons in need of assistance from a distance of 20 feet or further
- Mobility to travel to outreach events, and occasional meetings away from the library
Candidate will work 10-12 hours/week at a rate of $13.00-$15.00/hour based on experience and education. Additional hours may be available as a substitute during staff time off.
If you are interested in joining our team, please submit a cover letter and resume with references to Laura Oanes, Library Director, P.O. Box 697, Galesville, WI 54630 or email to Laura Oanes at email@example.com. Applications received by May 15, 2023 will receive first consideration.